Dennis Ting ’14 is definitely #MerrillMade.

He landed his first reporting job at Eyewitness News (WEHT/WTVW) in Evansville, In. in January, 2015. Two years later, he is is on his way to report in Louisville, Ky. for ABC Affiliate WHAS (Channel 11).

We asked Dennis to write a few words for us about his first job – what he learned and what he would suggest to our Merrill College students and recent graduates. Here’s what he told us:

“Your first reporting job is really like grad school. You might think you know what you’re doing when you leave school, but trust me, you find out pretty quickly how much you have to learn. My advice is to learn everything, try everything and be willing to do everything. I’ve had the chance to cover some really cool things in little Evansville, Indiana and I’ve met some amazing people. It’s not always going to be easy and it’s not always going to be fun, but at the end of the day, I can still think about how lucky I am that I get to call what I do “work,” and that makes all the difference.

On a side note – enjoy yourself! You might not always be in the best situation, but make it the best situation you can. I’ve made lifelong friends at my first job that I will genuinely miss. There’s something about being at a first job that just bonds you with other people. Don’t be so hasty looking to get out that you don’t stop and appreciate what you have. I know there’s some quote about smelling roses or forests and trees, but you get what I’m saying.

Have fun!”

You can see some of Dennis’ work on his website.