- About the Major
- Video Brochure
- Capital News Service
- Prospective Students
- Current Students
- New General Education Program
- Scholarships & Aid
- Media, Self and Society Program»
- Four-Year Plans
- Faculty & Research
- Programs & Centers
- Shirley Povich Center for Sports Journalism
- American Journalism Review
- Hubert H. Humphrey Fellows
- International Center for Media and the Public Agenda
- Journalism Center on Children & Families
- College Park Scholars: Media, Self and Society
- National Association of Black Journalists
- Society for Features Journalism
- Alumni & Support
Fulfill a Graduation Requirement and Gain Valuable Experience | Join Capital News Service
Do you want to fulfill a graduation requirement while gaining valuable real-world journalism experience? Spend a semester in one of our four Capital News Service bureaus - Annapolis, Washington, College Park Studio C (Online Hub) or College Park Studio B (Broadcast).
We have new, flexible options for student participation to make CNS work with your busy schedule – and a variety of jobs to fit your career goals. If you want to be a multimedia reporter (text, audio, video), a Web producer, a social media producer, or a broadcast/multimedia reporter we want to hear from you!
Benefits to Students Who Join Capital News Service
- Three or six credit options fulfill capstone requirement for graduation.
- Shape Your Future – We’ll help you tailor your CNS experience to meet your career goals. We have openings for multimedia (text/audio/video) reporters, broadcast reporters, Web producers, graphics producers, social media producers and more.
- Real Responsibility – Work in a real newsroom environment overseen by veteran editors – and have more freedom to create great journalism than in most internships.
- Visibility – Your work will be used CNS partners and clients – a list that includes some of nation’s largest news organizations, like the Washington Post, the Baltimore Sun and Fox News.
- Career Help – CNS students use their experience to land fantastic jobs and internships at places like the New York Times, the Washington Post, CNN and other top news organizations. CNS Alumni routinely credit the real-world newsroom environment as critical to their development as journalists. After 20 years, hundreds of CNS alumni are in prominent positions at top news organizations and will help you get your foot in the door. CNS is a name that opens doors.
- Build Your Portfolio -- You'll leave CNS with a package of professionally edited text stories, videos, audio slideshows, social media elements, Web pages, interactive graphics, photos and more.
- No Tests, No Books to Buy – Almost all of your work for Capital News Service is done during the hours the bureaus operate, with no traditional "homework." It's more like an internship or a job than a traditional class.
- Money -- Most students get a small stipend to cover reporting expenses. How many classes pay you to participate?
Questions and How to Join Us
If you are interested in joining Capital News Service, please fill out this brief online form (Link). The form will ask you to upload a current resume, provide examples of recent journalistic work and answer a few questions about your career goals and skills.
Before you fill out the form, you may review the general overview of the program, information about the four bureaus, the role of students in each bureau, information about the bureau directors, our list of clients and partners, information on where our alumni land jobs and internships, and what CNS alumni say about the value of the program.
Additionally, the four bureau directors are happy to answer your questions about the program in person, by phone or by email or arrange a tour of any of the four bureaus.
- Rafael Lorente (bio) | Washington | 202-628-1677 or email@example.com
- Jackie Incollingo (bio) | Annapolis | 410-626-1008 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sue Kopen Katcef (bio) | College Park TV (Studio B) | 301-314-2694 or email@example.com
- Sean Mussenden (bio) | College Park Studio C (Online) | 301-405-2530 or firstname.lastname@example.org