Philip Merrill College of Journalism alumni, students, faculty and mentors were honored during the Shirley Povich awards luncheon this week at the University of Maryland.
The awards were presented by the Shirley Povich Center for Sports Journalism at Merrill College. George Solomon, the center’s director, and assistant director Beth Mechum presented the awards before the 12th annual Shirley Povich Symposium.
The award recipients were:
- Mentor of the Year: Garry D. Howard, director of corporate initiatives at American City Business Journals. Introduced by Marty Kaiser, former editor of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
- Distinguished Terrapin: Bob Ford (’76), sports columnist at the Philadelphia Inquirer. Introduced by Ike Richman (’88), founder of Ike Richman Communications
- Distinguished Terrapin: Heather McDonough (’04), senior sports producer at NBC4. Introduced by Sue Kopen Katcef (’76), Capital News Service broadcast bureau director and senior lecturer at Merrill College
- All-Star Student: Megan Smedley, introduced by Sue Kopen Katcef
- All-Star Student: Alex Flum, introduced by Alison Burns (’93), Ph.D. student and adjunct lecturer at Merrill College
- Special Recognition: Carl Sessions Stepp, Merrill College faculty
- Special Recognition: Olive Reid, Merrill College associate dean for student affairs
- Special Recognition: Kevin Anderson, University of Maryland director of athletics, introduced by Gary Williams