COLLEGE PARK (2/9/18)University of Maryland Philip Merrill College of Journalism alumna Danielle Ohl (’17) placed in the top 10 of a highly competitive national collegiate writing competition, the Hearst Journalism Awards Program announced this week.

Ohl, now a reporter for The Capital Gazette, was among the Enterprise Writing Competition winners in the 58th awards program, funded and operated by the William Randolph Hearst Foundation. Ohl placed ninth out of 122 entrants from 70 accredited journalism schools.

Ohl won for “Inside the Culture,” which explores efforts by fraternities and sororities to police sexual assault internally amid members’ distrust of university systems.

The piece is part “It’s Real,” a seven-part series published by The Diamondback, in which student journalists examined how sexual assault is handled at the university.

“I’m grateful to have had the resources and mentors that allowed me to navigate a complex and important topic,” Ohl said after the competition’s winners were announced. “This story is about the ways a powerful institution grapples with sexual abuse so ingrained in its own culture, it affected nearly everyone I spoke with.

“Especially now, when women and men in every industry have come forward to speak out against similar abuse, I am thankful I could do my small part to give these students a voice.”

For more information, contact:
Alexander A. Pyles
aapyles@umd.edu
301-405-1321