COLLEGE PARK (5/9/18)Alexander Flum will be the student speaker at the University of Maryland Philip Merrill College of Journalism commencement ceremony this month.

Flum, a broadcast journalism major, was selected after a vote by other graduating seniors.

“I am humbled to be chosen as this year’s student commencement speaker. My experience at the Philip Merrill College of Journalism has been one that I’ll remember forever and miss dearly,” Flum said. “I am excited to highlight the tons of amazing accomplishments that my classmates have had in the past four years and discuss what our role will be in the important and constantly changing field of journalism.”

Flum has anchored and reported on news and sports for Capital News Service, was executive producer and co-creator of The Left Bench TV and broadcast games for the Big Ten Network and WMUC Sports.

He worked as a field producer and intern with the NBC Washington sports department, and also interned for ABC-7 in Arlington, Virginia, and WBOC-16 in Salisbury, Maryland.

This past fall, Flum won The Shirley Povich Center for Sports Journalism‘s All-Star Student Award. Also in the fall, the Newseum selected a 360-degree video by Flum for display in its Top 10 VR Videos exhibit. And he’s on the Jim Nantz Award watch list this year.

Merrill College’s commencement ceremony will be held at Ritchie Coliseum on May 21 at 10 a.m.

For more information, contact:
Alexander A. Pyles
aapyles@umd.edu
301-405-1321