COLLEGE PARK (11/28/18) — Journalists are frequently called the “enemy of the people” by President Donald Trump.
Would some coaches like to say the same thing about sports reporters?
The Shirley Povich Center for Sports Journalism at the University of Maryland Philip Merrill College of Journalism will pose that question during a panel discussion Saturday at the Newseum in Washington.
Co-hosted with the Freedom Forum Institute, “Sports Writers: Are We Also the Enemy?” examines the increasingly tension-filled relationship between coaches and the journalists who cover their teams at the college and professional level.
The 2 p.m. discussion — which is free and open to the public, but requires registration — will be co-moderated by Povich Center Director George Solomon and Gene Policinski, president and chief operating officer of the Freedom Forum Institute.
They’ll be joined by a group of distinguished journalists:
- David Aldridge, editor-in-chief of The Athletic D.C.
- Greg Aiello, a former NFL communications executive
- Liz Clarke, a sports columnist at The Washington Post
- Leonard Downie Jr., the former executive editor & vice president of The Washington Post
- Pepper Rodgers, a former football player and coach
- Christy Winters Scott, a sports analyst for ESPN and other networks and former University of Maryland basketball player
- Rhiannon Walker (’15), a sports writer for The Athletic
Live video will be available on the Newseum’s website.