COLLEGE PARK (1/8/19) — The Howard Center for Investigative Journalism is taking shape at the University of Maryland Philip Merrill College of Journalism.
The office suite in John S. and James L. Knight Hall has been under construction for months in preparation for the center’s launch this year. New furniture arrived in recent weeks.
The Howard Center at Merrill College is funded by the Scripps Howard Foundation. The center will train Merrill graduate and undergraduate students in investigative reporting, data journalism and compelling storytelling methods.
In keeping with the college’s tradition of teaching students journalism by having them practice it, the Howard Center will work with Capital News Service and other academic and professional partners to report and publish investigative journalism projects of national importance.
A search is currently underway for the center’s first director. The college has already hired the first Howard Distinguished Visiting Fellow, Marty Kaiser, to help launch the Howard Center this year.
More About The Howard Center
- Merrill College To Host Howard Center for Investigative Journalism
- Howard Center Boosts Investigative Journalism at Merrill College
- Marty Kaiser Named First Howard Distinguished Visiting Fellow
- Washington Post Editor Marty Baron Visits in Howard Center Speaker Series
- Washington Post Editor Marty Baron: Listen Well and Ask More Questions