The Philip Merrill College of Journalism traces its roots to the creation of the Department of Journalism and Public Relations in 1949, though journalism courses were offered at the University of Maryland as far back as 1919.
- A new building for the Department of Journalism was begun in 1956 and dedicated Nov. 23, 1957. Read more.
- A Master of Arts program launched in 1971. With a campus-wide reorganization underway that year, the journalism faculty worked to transform journalism as well, and on July 1, 1972, the new College of Journalism came into being. Ray Hiebert became the first dean of the new college on Jan. 1, 1973.
By the turn of the new century, it was obvious a new building was needed to meet the changing demands of journalism education.
- The result was the construction of the John S. & James L. Knight Hall during the tenure of Dean Tom Kunkel.
- A generous donation by the publisher of Washingtonian Magazine – Philip Merrill – resulted in the naming of the college as the Philip Merrill College of Journalism. The building was formally dedicated on April 21, 2010.
Want to learn more? Check out the University of Maryland ArchivesUM resource page about journalism.