Capitalize On Your Future!
Merrill’s Ph.D. in Journalism Studies includes:
- At least 3 years of support (2018-19 of $20,761.94)*
- Tuition remission and health benefits
- Eligibility for other financial awards annually
- Teaching opportunities
- Research with renowned scholars
- Countless research resources unique to Washington D.C.
* Renewable for students with good work performance and academic standing.
Ph.D. students at Merrill engage in cutting-edge scholarship with renowned faculty to research the many dimensions of journalism (data journalism, multimedia, social media, gender, and history to name a few). Merrill Ph.D.s also tap a network of colleagues across the campus of the University of Maryland including those from information sciences, communication, political science, history, sociology, psychology and public policy.
You’ll become a key component in the teaching and research environment at the College, sharing your expertise with undergraduates, co-publishing with faculty, and presenting your work at national and international conferences.
Most Merrill students complete their Ph.D. in an average of five years and 80 percent of our graduates from the past 10 years now work in academia, the media or government agencies such as the World Bank.
The deadline to apply for Fall 2019 admission is February 1, 2019.
See our “Apply Now” page for more information about the application process.
For informal inquiries or questions, please contact:
Assistant Director, Graduate Studies