To apply to the Merrill College of Journalism Ph.D. Program, you’ll need to go to the University of Maryland Graduate School admissions site. For more information about our Ph.D. program, scroll down and fill out the inquiry form below.
There are links on the Graduate School site to help you gather all the information you’ll need before starting the formal application process.
To get you started, here’s the basic information:
All application materials are submitted electronically and must include:
- Graduate application;
- Undergraduate and graduate transcripts;
- GRE scores;
- Research statement of purpose – this should be approximately 2,000 to 4,000 words long and highlight the intellectual contribution you seek to make with your PhD studies;
- 3 Letters of recommendation submitted electronically. We strongly prefer recommendations from academics or others who can assess your ability to conduct academic research;
- A writing sample that highlights your academic potential (i.e. a research paper or publication);
- Non-refundable application fee (currently $75.00).
The Application Process
Completed applications are reviewed by an admissions committee at the Merrill College of Journalism. The recommendations of the committee are then submitted to the UMD Graduate School for a final admission decision. Students seeking to complete graduate work at the University of Maryland for degree purposes must be formally admitted to the Graduate School.
International Graduate Students
International students must either satisfy the Graduate School’s language requirement through testing OR have completed degree work in an English-speaking program. for information on language requirements and other issues for international applicants. In general, the Ph.D. program is seeking applicants who are highly fluent in English as the students are required to write at the highest academic level.