Giving Day 2017
Giving Day is March 8 this year – 24 hours of opportunity for Merrill College supporters to help our students and programs. This year we are focused on two areas:
1. Penny Bender Fuchs Scholarship Fund
As in past years, scholarships make a huge difference for our students. The money that goes into the Fuchs Scholarship Fund helps them reach for their dreams, helps relieve the stress of college costs and can even make a difference in where they decide to go to school. Journalism is under pressure unlike any other time in our history. It’s imperative that we support the next generation of #MerrillMade journalists so they can speak truth to power and keep America and the world informed about everything from politics to science and the arts.
2. The Dean’s Fund
Dean Lucy Dalglish uses her Dean’s Fund for a wide range of purposes to support Merrill College and our students. Money in the past has gone to help students under financial stress stay in school, purchase needed broadcast and other equipment and even helped send CNS reporters to cover stories of consequence like the DNC and RNC conventions. This is a fund that makes a difference in many special ways. We invite you to help support it on Giving Day.
Our Development and Communications teams are working hard on a number of different promotions and programs to help promote Giving Day. Here are some things we can tell you about:
- Alumni Competition: Show us what you’ve got – and how you would dress like our beloved JournoTestudo. The winner gets a JournoTestudo tie or scarf (your choice).
- NEW: Student competition – dress like JournoTestudo and win a tie or scarf.
- Make a donation and help us beat our record of 205 gifts. Donations start at just $10. We also have a $5000 matching grant against which all donations count – so please help us make a difference!
- We have some very special alumni Merrill College coffee mugs – which we will give out randomly to donors throughout the day. These are one-of-a-kind mugs made just for Giving Day.
- Our NPPA student chapter will be shooting head shots on Giving Day, with a portion of the funds going to Merrill College.
- We have lots of other plans in the works – so stay tuned!
Giving Day 2016 Wrap
The Philip Merrill College of Journalism raised almost $20,000 in donations to help our students and programs March 3 during Giving Day 2016. Merrill also won an additional $500 during the hourly contests for “most creative Giving Day photo” – a picture (right) of faculty and staff holding Diamondback newspapers and other publications. The photo was also shot as a video thanking donors for supporting Merrill College and an animated gif created by lecturer Josh Davidsburg.
The number of gifts and dollar raised placed Merrill College in the top ten among 24 other participating schools/colleges and university programs. The numbers are remarkable given that the journalism school is one of the smallest units on campus. That accomplishment translated into an additional $2,925 in funds. Grand total for the day was $19,656!
“This money will be used for scholarships and programs that enhance the student experience,” said Dean Lucy Dalglish in her message to journalism alumni. “I would like to invite you to join us on campus for Maryland Day on April 30th to see first-hand what your generosity is supporting.”
Overall, the University of Maryland raised nearly $380,000 dollars during the 27 hour event. That helped break a record for most gifts in a single day.
Merrill College held its own against the bigger schools and colleges:
* Merrill College came in 7th overall with 134 gifts or 7% of the total raised;
* Merrill College came in 6th overall with dollars raised – $16,431.00 or 6% of the total dollars raised;
* Merrill College won one of the hourly prize competitions for $500.00
There were four different categories donors could give to on the Merrill College giving site:
* Deans Fund
* Penny Bender Fuchs Fund
* Shirley Povich Center for Sports Journalism
* Capital News Service
2014 Merrill College Wrap
Thanks to your generosity, the Philip Merrill College of Journalism raised a grand total of $25,690!
Scholarship Day is all about our students – helping them stay in school to graduate. In 2013, there was a friendly competition between every school and college on campus to see who could get the highest participation rate. Because of your support, the Philip Merrill College of Journalism led the competition start to finish and was able to raise more than $12,000 in scholarship money for our students!
In 2014, we came in second, but raised more than twice as much scholarship funding for our students. Thank you!
As Dean Lucy Dalglish reminds us, every gift – from $10 to $500 – makes a difference, because state budget cuts and tuition increases have real impact on our students.
2014 University of Maryland Wrap:
Thank you for making Scholarship Day an overwhelming success for our students. On Dec. 10, the Maryland community came together to raise an astounding amount of scholarship dollars in 24 hours. As a result of your generous support for student scholarships, we exceeded last year’s success with 2,035 gifts totaling $324,212—including a $50,000 matching gift from Suzanne ’83 and Marvin ’81 Rabovsky!
Because of your generosity, we’ll be able to fill some of the $80 million in unmet requests for financial aid this year. Just as important, you showed what it means to be a Terp—coming together to support the next generation of amazing alumni. Go Terps!