College Is A Major Investment For You And Your Family
The University of Maryland and the Philip Merrill College of Journalism are here to help.
- Costs: Check out this University of Maryland Admissions website that discusses what it costs to become a Terp. Kiplinger’s Personal Finance magazine (Dec. 2016) ranks Maryland No. 8 among “best values” in public higher education for Maryland residents and No. 10 for non-Maryland residents (2015: 9/14).
- The University of Maryland offers an array of financial aid programs – including scholarships, grants, loans and student employment – as part of its commitment to making an excellent education affordable. Nearly 75 percent of UMD freshmen receive some form of financial aid.
- Visit the University of Maryland Graduate School website to learn if you’re eligible to have your application fee waived.
- The Philip Merrill College of Journalism offers additional scholarships for incoming and current students at both the undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Please Note: Students are charged a $300 Technology Usage Fee each semester registered as a journalism major. These funds help provide 24 hour/ 7 day-per-week access to our News Bubble in Knight Hall as well as free usage of equipment from our Equipment Desk. The fee also takes care of maintenance and software in the computer labs used by Merrill College.
The following pages focus first on Merrill College undergraduate scholarships and then university and outside resources for journalism majors. Graduate students please check scholarship information under the Masters or Ph.D. programs.
Applying for Awards from the College
NOTE: INCOMING STUDENTS do not apply for Merrill College scholarship awards. All incoming journalism students are considered for the listed scholarships on the basis of their applications to the university and their financial need.
The deadline FOR CURRENT STUDENTS to apply for scholarships from the Merrill College is April 8, 2018. Scholarships are only available to current and incoming Merrill students for the upcoming academic year. (The application form below is for Merrill College scholarships only.)